Main Hall - from £12 per hour
Elmbridge Room - from £6 per hour
Kitchen - from £6 per hour
The original building was erected around 1900 and a plaque on the outside states that the hall is a memorial to Canon F. P. Phillips, his wife and son, the Rev. F. A. Phillips, who were owners of significant tracts of land in the area. There is a memorial plaque to Stoke d'Abernon men who served in the First World War in the corridor leading to the Elmbridge Room.
During the Second World War the Village Hall was used as a ration book distribution centre and, in the early years, as a canteen for Canadian soldiers who had been billeted locally. Despite current use, the Hall was not used as a polling station until the By-Election of December 1947.
In 1954 the Phillips Estate in Stoke d'Abernon was broken up and sold, at which time the trustees thereof and those beneficially entitled to the land joined in a conveyance dated 13th April 1954 of the Hall and land. Under the conveyance, trusts were declared upon which the first trustees of a new trust were to hold the land. The running of the Hall passed to a Management Committee including the trustees of the land for the time being and a representative from each of the following organisations: St. Mary's Parochial Church Council, Committee of the Men's Club, Committee of the Women's Institute, Stoke d'Abernon Residents' Association, Stoke d'Abernon Cricket Club and up to four co-opted members.
During 1952/3 plans were submitted to enlarge the small hall building that existed at that time and building work began in 1954. In 1975 the building was re-wired to bring it up to the electrical standards at that time. In 1993 a water meter was installed followed by new pipework in 1995. The land owned by the charity was vested in the Official Custodian for Charities in 1995.
Shortly after this the Trustees decided that the Hall kitchen and toilet facilities were no longer of the standard required and that major renovation work was necessary. A project team of Trustees was created and a questionnaire distributed to every household in the locality.
Building plans for a new annexe were drawn up, funding options explored and fund raising activities organised. InOctober of 1997 the building plans were approved and builders eventually came on site in May of 1999. The builders handed over the new annexe of the Village Hall to the Project Committee on 24th January 2000. The enlargement of the Village Hall was also made possible by a Millenium grant.
The clock hanging outside the Hall was installed in celebration of Her Majesty's Golden Jubilee. There is a plaque in memory of Elsie Mullard, who willed a large sum of money to the Village Hall and the Golden Jubilee clock was unveiled by the mayor of Elmbridge Borough Council, Cllr. on 3rd June 2002. In the garden is a bench in memory of Beryl Parsons, who voluntarily improved and maintained the garden for many years.
Recent enhancements include a “Baby nappy changing facility” and a Garden Bench (made by the Queen Elizabeth Foundation) both funded by Elmbridge Borough Council, through the support of local Cllr, James Vickers.
The maintenance of the Hall is ongoing and in recent years a new floor has been installed in the main hall, and the exterior and majority of the interior has been redecorated. The trustees have purchased small tables and chairs for children's parties. Necessary electrical works have been completed and the lighting in the main hall was replaced in the spring of 2009. Current work been carried out is a new roof over the kitchen and Elmbridge Room.
The trustees would like to encourage more local people to become trustees of the charity in order that the Village Hall can continue to be run efficiently for "religious, educational, cultural and social purposes". At present we are keen to appoint an Treasurer. Applicants should contact the Chairman of the Trustees in confidence by email at Chairman.
(Historical information, with thanks to Dorothy Parsons and John Smart )